Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year and Penguin Plunge Report.

New Years Day dawned a lot different from the forecast predicted a few days earlier. Instead of rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain it was bright and sunny, cold but not too bad being above freezing. Not that it mattered that much to me because I had no intention of running into the Susquehanna River at Noon along with all the other er .... er ..... lets call them plungers shall we. I was designated "Towel Boy" for Lynn, it was my job to hold her towel for her so she would not immediately die of hyperthermia on exiting the freezing Susquehanna River.

 On the drive along the river to City Island I was instructing Lynn to not look to her right in the direction of the river. What did she do, yeah she looked. What she saw made her shiver in anticipation of what was to come. The river was covered in places with little icebergs, OK maybe thats an exageration, ice flows more like. This is Lynns 13th year in succession of immersing herself in the Susquhanna on New Years Day. She was on the Board of Directors of the Humane Society when the idea arose back in 1997 it must have been. As Lynn was one of the younger board members at the time she volunteered or was "volunteeered" to be a participant. 13 years laters she's still doing it. She was interviewed by local TV channel, so I hope somebody videoed it. Marsha was there looking aprehensive especially when the huge Viking 'Lady' Helga, complete with horned Helmet and long blonde braids arrived to be videoed with her.  Brian was there in his flip flops and bare feet and I apologise to him for splashing icy water on him. I was only trying to get him used to the cold! Becky was there too and we met Bonnie, but due to a recent bout with pneumonia she wisely was a spectator this year. Christine from Paws was plunging as was Dr Bob from The Animal Hospital of Dauphin County who was plunging for the first time. At precisely Noon the loonies  plungers ran down the snow covered ramp into the water, immersed themselves and ran out again. This was where the "Towel Boys" really come into their own in the extremely vital task of guiding the stunned, frozen  popsicles emerging from the river towards their waiting towels. It's a very important difficult job .... well someone has to do it don't they.

Not sure yet how much money was raised for the animal charities, hope it was lots!

Sorry no pictures, left the stupid camera behind!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/01/penguins_plunge_into_susquehan.html

Christine Arnold has just reminded me that you can still donate!

http://www.firstgiving.com/christinearnold

More pictures from the Plunge. Check out Helga the Viking 'Maiden'.

 http://photos.pennlive.com/4503/gallery/penguin_plunge_gives_brisk_start_to_new_year/slideshow/index.html

2 comments:

  1. Safe on the warm sofa with Rosa Kitty beside me, I am glad to be inside today instead of in the river. Thanks to Lynn, I learned the wisdom of sticking to the far side of the madding crowd and experienced my dunk with none of the near terror usually endured in the company of football-helmeted, make-up-wearing, nearly naked enthusiasts. Although I was not reassured by the green Rubbermaid tub resting near the entry point with the label "Blankets, Body Bags" I plunged ahead. My Sheet Ladies Johnna and Deb were expertly positioned with the sheet teepee as I trotted out of the water and quickly changed my wet togs for dry ones. And then there was Lynn soaking wet still, although wrapped in her towel (thanks to the towel boy) as we walked back to the car. Next year, modesty or not, we will force Lynn to change PRIOR to the chilly return to transportation. As usual, I had a great time. Many of my entourage were lost in the crowd but their spirit was with me.

    Happy New Year to all and God Bless Us Every One, including the felines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we really lucked out this year with the weather! And you towel boys really do have an important job....we are too numb/hyperventalating as we come out to think! My towel boy (fiance) has finally got the drying/dressing routine down pat! 5 minutes after coming out I was on my way to warmth!

    ReplyDelete